Saturday 21 October 2017

Day 8

What a day it has been.

I had my first scan this morning. This is the first opportunity to see how things are progressing. How well I am responding to the meds and whether any changes need to be made to my treatment plan. 

First up was my right ovary.

21mm, 17mm 8mm the doctor called out to Flex Thunderstache to record.

Ok, now the left ovary.

Wait, what?

What about all the other folicles? Is that it?

I must have let out some disappointed sound as the Dr then asked me how many I had on my right side last time. I said last time I had 5 on one side and 6 on the other, but couldn't remember which was which.

Trying to stay positive, I piped up with, 'well, it's all about quality not quantity'. The Dr gave me a reassuring pat on the knee and said 'that's right, you know. you have done this before haven't you'

On to the left side. Fortunately my left side had been much more productive.

19mm, 16mm, 17mm, 15mm, 12mm, 11mm

My follicles being measured. The follicles contain the eggs but 1 follicle does not necessarily contain 1 egg. it could have a couple or none.

These measurements were bigger than last time but I was still surprised to be told that egg collection was likely to be on Tuesday (A day earlier than I had expected) and that I didn't need another scan. Just a blood test the following morning.

From memory, the measurement they are aiming for with the follicles is between 16mm - 22mm. They grow quite fast too, about 2mm a day, which means mine will be ripe for the harvest shortly.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed. I think it's only natural to compare things to my last cycle, however, I keep reminding myself that the last cycle didn't go so well, so maybe this is better. I am hoping that my body is going for quality over quantity this time and is producing some super eggs. Although disappointed, I feel quite relaxed about everything. I just trust God. I trust that life will grow in my womb in his perfect timing.

After the scan and blood test we were headed for Levin, but not before making a stop at home to mow the lawns. Flex Thunderstache insisted that we had to mow the lawns first. He is very particular about how long the grass is allowed to get.

It is church camp this weekend in Levin. We were planning to go for Saturday and Sunday but the 9am blood test on Sunday morning made that a bit difficult so we just went up for Saturday afternoon and came home early Sunday morning.

We are so blessed to be part of such an amazing, supportive community who gathered around us in the evening to pray and sing over us. It was such a beautiful moment and we felt so loved. Whatever happens, I know that God is with us.

Thanks family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The final post

Last week we made our final trip to Fertility Associates for our review appointment. Our doctor was sad an disappointment for us. It w...