Monday 23 October 2017

Day 11 - Egg collection day

Today was egg collection day.

In the lead up to today I have been feeling very calm and relaxed about it all, although I must admit that this morning I was a mix of excitement and nervous giggles.

First we met with the nurse to have my blood pressure taken and to go over a few things. Flex Thunderstache told the nurse we had been having difficulties getting him pregnant which is why we needed IVF. We then met with the embryologist who went over our consent forms. We decided to have the IMSI add on if the embryologist thought it necessary. IMSI is like ICSI where they inject a single sperm into each mature egg, except they use much higher magnification when selecting the sperm. It will help them to pick out the best ones. As none of our embryos made it to transfer day last time, we felt this would give us the best chance to avoid it happening again. We will find out tomorrow if they needed to use it.

Last time with my egg collection they had great difficulties getting the needle into arm for the pain relief, so instead of poking and prodding me multiple times, this time I was given an oral pill along with a local.

Dressed in my hospital gown wearing my lucky socks from my sock buddy, I was ready to go.

The actual procedure is pretty quick, but this time it hurt way more. I made the mistake of looking at the needle they were going to be using - it was so long. The local worked but I think it maybe needed longer to numb me as I felt the needle pierce each follicle. As the follicles can move around, the can't just slowly press the needle into it, they have to kind of stab it in. That wasn't fun.

Once the needle is in the follicle, its sucks out the liquid, along with any eggs that are in it. The fluid moves from the needle to a long tube and into a test tube where it is then passed through a hole in the wall to the embryologist who check for eggs and calls out the numbers.

All up we got 10 eggs. 10! I congratulated my ovaries and confess that I was feeling pretty proud of myself. From the scan on Saturday, I was only expecting 5 - 6 eggs so Flex and I were really chuffed with 10.

Tomorrow we will get a call from the embryologist and we will find out how many of those eggs were mature, how many fertilised and if they needed to use IMSI. All going well, we will have our first transfer on Sunday. Until then, it's lots of rest and cuddles from my sweet Frankie.

Some photos from the day

 
My egg socks, perfect for egg collection day

Gold bracelet sent to me by my prayer partner. The text is Hebrew and means 'to wait expectantly.' Katie has been such a blessing and so encouraging during this journey.

Before egg collection

After egg collection - still a bit drugged up.

Test tubes containing the fluid from my follicles and maybe and egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The final post

Last week we made our final trip to Fertility Associates for our review appointment. Our doctor was sad an disappointment for us. It w...